Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Please oh please check email on Snopes.com before forwarding them to me

Stop! Do not forward that fascinating email to me before finding out if it is true!

I continually get emails that are hoaxes or just plain not true. Too many people don’t bother to check them out or just don’t care if it is true or not.

It is so easy to check these on out on Snopes.com. Just put a few key words in Google with site:snopes.com and you will probably find out the true story.

For instance, I just received a forwarded email with beautiful photographs purported to be a sunset reflected in a waterfall making it look like cascading fire:

The following pictures were taken of what is known as the “Fire Waterfall” on El Capitan in Yosemite National Park .

I put in these few key words in a Google search:

“Fire Waterfall” “El Capitan” site:snopes.com

The Snopes.com page about these photographs came up immediately:

Fire Waterfall

They are not pictures of a reflected sunset, they are pictures of real fire, burning embers, being pushed over the side of a cliff!

If that story or photograph sounds too good (or too bad) to be true, please check it out on Snopes.com before forwarding it to me!

Thanks bunches!

X: Chairman of the Committee to Keep Junk Email out of my Inbox

2 comments:

Gerry Adams said...

Sometimes I get junk emails like that which claim to have been checked on on Snopes, but they really haven't. I hope you have a nice weekend X.

X-Evolutionist said...

How about the spam emails that say: "This is not spam". I get a kick out of those, too. X